It's a wrap!


We just finished the happy unwrapping of presents and the wrapping up of 2009 resolutions (this will be a recurring theme, readers) so it is only too fair that January 6 represents the end of a month of excitement and expectations, parties and healthy thinking and introspection.

January 6 is the Epyphany, unknown to some European countries, but widely celebrated in mother country, Italy, for sure. Again, it is a celebration, partly for kids, if you look at the unreligious side of it, strictly: kids put out a sock and wait for the witchy Befana to fill it with candies.

 This is what will happen if you have been good; bad kids get charcoal. How mean is that??? Aren't traditions toooooo cruel with innocent, precious children?! To be fair, the charcoal pieces would need to be the sugary kind you can eat, if you really want to. If you REALLY, REALLY need a sugar fix that will turn your face into a black and sticky mess that would even challenge the Befana's nerves. 

How do I know these things? Well, it is part of the tradition, you know... YES, ok, I did get charcoal once. And got so offended that I can still feel the anger and disappointment rising as I type. I remember not touching the sugar pieces of charcoal for one second. 

The emblematic Befana character always inspired awe and fear alike in me. She is an ugly witch riding a broom (forget the touch of originality here) BUT she also brings you candies, which in my opinion then - and now - is not something a witch should do. Witches are supposed to be mean, or what? So, the whole lay celebration always left me perplex.

Still, I knew already then that January 6 also announced the end of the adored December month, the busy December month, one of the milestones of the all-important calendar. So here we are again then, it is time to bring the tree decorations down, store the Christmas tree (I am proud to say that I use a beautiful fake one - a present from my parents) away and look ahead... Suddenly January looks empty, echoeing.

It is like the mythical wedding preparations: they keep you so busy, so hopeful, so happy and expectant for so long that once the wedding is passed you just wish you could start everything again!

But then again, the end is also defined by the beginning...so let January begin and bring tons of daydreaming opportunities to unwrap!




0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?