The finish line

How many times have you seen the black and white checkered flag being flung at the end of a car race? For me, the answer is simple: many times on TV, never in real life. Many times, but do not go and believe that I spend my Sundays watching F1 races on TV - that would be a waste of precious and girly QT for me; but you know, occasionally, I do stop for a sip of tea in front of the speedy lap and, of course, being Italian, I know all there is to know about Ferrari and the likes. Just the other day, a Spanish friend of mine confirmed that she follows all that runs around tracks because in Spain too they are big race fans and as if to prove how truth her words were, she gave a few names of bike super stars. WOW.

Well, I have now started to catch up, my own way though, thanks to the colorful Alfa Spettacolo Sportivo, a nice way for me to see everyday cars and oldies all happily gathered as one big famiglia in one spot; the fact is, I do like Alfas a lot. Please do take into consideration though that when I say this, I speak as a true girl and it simply (and superficially) means: I find the cars beautiful. You can take the car out of the girl, but you can't take the girl out of the car.

In a manly car world I was as excited as a schoolgirl on her first day of class. The old cars were showing off perfect chromes, wooden and leather interiors and curvy lines from another time all stylishly combined with shiny colors and promoted by proud owners wearing leather gloves. It is undoubtedly interesting to start wandering around the old F1 track in Zandvoort with these old beauties as the first eye candy of the day since they provided a nice contrast with the modern cars, starting with the powerful Zagato and their straight, uncompromising lines that go to the point, no frills needed.

The most exciting part was the Alfa race in which competitors driving what could be your dad's car (I mean it, there were Alfa 75 all over the place, dad!) ran pedal to the floor in typical Alfa engine roars that blew my ears off. I got lost in the rounds but happily followed the colorful cars of all types and shapes chasing each other while trying to focus on the first three - my very own winning trio! The weather was lenient and allowed us to take pictures all day long in the sun, enjoying every minute of the noisy and adrenaline-rich race in what seemed to be the last summer day of the year, down to the finish line.



3 commentaires:

  1. C'est dommage, on ne sait jamais si c'est toi (ou Stash) qui faites les photos ou si ce sont des images trouvées sur le net...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oui, j'en parlais hier justement : il va falloir que je prenne le temps de mentionner ça dans chaque billet. Là, la première photo du drapeau vient du Net, le reste c'est de notre cru - on s'est éclatés avec l'appareil !!! En général, j'essaye toujours de mettre nos photos dans un billet ; quand ce n'est pas possible, je puise dans mon dossier photo "inspiration" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je me doutais bien que la plupart des photos sont les vôtres (en général, je clique toujours dessus et je regarde la référence) et je suis souvent hallucinée par la qualité et "l'oeil" du photographe !

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?