The Master Eye

When my parents came back from a lovely trip to California years ago, they brought back a beautiful bracelet made of silver and turquoise. The bracelet is one of my favorites and I can still remember very clearly the beautiful wrapping of its case and the Ansel Adams sticker of the gallery they bought it from.

One thing led to another and I checked the name of Ansel Adams on the Internet at the time...and discovered gorgeous and inspiring images from nature, mostly in black and white and gorgeous subtle shades that remained printed in my mind (and on my screensaver, in much more prosaic form).

Black and white is a combination I am in love with in photography: it seems straightforward, honest and forever sublime in the way it describes the countours of objects, people, nature and its own monuments. For this reason, I was a bit skeptical - to say the least - when I read that some Ansel Adams's pictures were now available in color. Sacrilege!


Braving my inner discontent, I checked the pictures and you know what? A good picture is a good picture and nature is a lenient mother. The scenic images remain fascinating and moving. Strangely enough they do seem more futuristic now, like satellite pictures of far away galaxies... Colors have transported Adams's eye into the future, adding a new layer of life to his work. Take a tour... and if you like it, watch out for the book that is coming out.

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?