A day at the museum

Some time ago I had already planned on spending one whole day at the museum in The Netherlands... (I am keeping the destination secret since I am still planning to go, a little suspense won’t hurt, right?) Well, I did get to spend one full day at the museum, but not exactly in the country I had expected and not exactly for the reasons I had expected. What do you know... To try and recover from the deeply sad event of the beginning of our week (see previous post), hubby and I decided to spend one day at the king of all museums, I have named the Louvre.
Last time I visited it, it was 9 years ago and I had kept fond memories of it despite the extensive renovation work ongoing at the time.


I now had the opportunity of admiring the results: clean walls, optimized lighting, clear presentation of the art works and masterpieces and fluid itineraries for the visitors. Overall, a success story and a very long day spent wandering very slowly in the magic spaces of the Italian and French paintings (16 and 17th centuries) and of Greek and Roman statues, with a little visit to Canova and his sensual and voluptuous sculptures. As the sun set calmly over centuries of history and the glorious Louvre, I stopped here and there to take a few pictures in the attempt of rendering the fascinating atmosphere that pervaded the museum, in and out.



Even though our hearts still ached from the loss of our dear dog, our mind did find some comfort and solace in the beauties and messages of art and its history and I will be forever grateful for it, to the point that I am now thinking of subscribing to the Amis du Louvre program... Looking ahead for more soothing discoveries in an amazing building!


Credits: TheDaydreamer (with iPhone)

3 commentaires:

  1. Si cela t'intéresse, regarde aussi les programmes des ateliers du Louvre. Il y en a notamment sur la sculpture, domaine dont je suis fan. Deux de mes musées préférés qui te devraient te faire du bien, et que tu dois déjà connaître, sont le Musée Rodin et le musée Nissim de Camondo (tu sens l'âme du maître des lieux). Gros bisous. M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci M pour tes conseils : les ateliers me tentent bien et je ne savais pas qu'ils étaient ouverts au grand public ! Le musée Rodin est l'un de mes préférés aussi en revanche le deuxième est inconnu au bataillon. Nous pourrions y aller ensemble, non ? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Très bonne idée ! Cela me fera aussi du bien. Ce lieu est magique tant par la richesse des collections que par son histoire. N. de Camondo a demandé à ce que la décoration intérieure reste identique à celle de son vivant lorsque ses biens ont été donnés à la ville de Paris après la mort de sa lignée, morte dans les camps d'extermination. J'adore aussi le Grand Palais et tu peux aller voir les projections explicatives et historiques des oeuvres ou artistes présentés (ouvert au public et gratuit, demande le programme à l'entrée). Bisous. M.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?