World without end


A big fan of medieval times, I have fallen head over heals for the latest Ken Follett that made it to my bedside table where it has a special spot in the sun and dust (and it will have one for a long time, given the number of pages). Having read with sheer pleasure and excitement the famous Pillars of the Earth, I jumped at the first opportunity I had to lay my hands on the “sequel”. To be honest, I cannot remember much of the Pillars, but the geographical names are another story and Kingsbridge with its all-powerful priory and nunnery is now a more familiar place, as it were. Given all the cruel plots that are being hatched within its walls though, I am not sure it would be a welcoming place, not to mention that as a woman I would rather live in more modern and tolerant times (well, the notion of tolerance and modernity may actually vary horrendously from one country to another and do not necessarily work wonders together, hum...).

But let’s not digress and take things from the start: the book opens on suspense and a breathtaking adventure so it is captivating from page 1 and delays no further the reader’s pleasure en expectations. The details about rough life in the 14th century are numerous and fascinating – I have a soft spot for all the descriptions of food and beverages (cider for the poors, ale for the rich…) of the time. They play a brilliant role in setting the backdrop of the story and become a character of their own. Injustice seems to rule more than ever and women from the lower classes are treated as sub-human beings with no rights whatsoever, while children can also be sold for an emaciated cow. Trials for witchcraft are popular distractions (women under fire, again) that keep the crowds under check and provide entertainment for free, while religion mingles dangerously with superstition and ignorance, a terrifying means!

Needless to say, I am enjoying every intricate page and know that I will relish every opportunity to cuddle up in a warm corner and travel back in time where Kingsbridge awaits me.


0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?