I was reading...


In order for me to relate my thoughts and feelings about a book, I try to follow religiously the chronology of my readings: there is no point in me telling you what I think I may have thought about a story read two years ago... Chances are, I will totally miss the point and try to remember every detail of it - only it will all be transformed by the lack of memory and the passing of time. The final result could actually be quite interesting, mind you, as if seen through a magnifying glass that would distort the actual experience, the instant screenshot. Why not?

In a way, this is what is going to happen here, only the book I will tell you about dates back to a couple of weeks, not more. So in the end, my story should still be pretty fresh and untouched by the wrong doings of time (and uncooperative memory).

Everywhere I look it says "homemade" these days: there is undoubtedly a trend in all fields, from food to furniture and design in general. As someone who does not make anything at home (except the occasional pleasurable cooking), I am quite fascinated by what is out there. The book A Homemade Life fits perfectly into the trend: it was written by Molly Wizenberg, a food blog writer who stands out thanks to her beautiful style and delicate approach to everything she touches.

Her book reads like a blog, really, and this makes it a pleasant encounter, even though the events of her life have not always been dreamy, far from it. This is how life goes, but Molly seems to have found the strenght every time to move forward and to look beyond the obvious to find her way in food and gastronomy. In that respect, something strange happens here: I utterly enjoy her blog and reading her recipes, but I have to admit that her cooking style is not my cup of tea - too fussy? Not spontaneous enough? I cannot tell, it just does not work for me and does not encourage me to cover the distance to the stove (now up and running, a miracle). Every chapter is like a blog post - limitations included - with the corresponding inspirational recipe - the pattern is certainly not new in literature, but still, it is a rich experience fueled by Molly's obvious willingness to share (something she had to learn in life, apparently). All in all, she and her family stories have been good companions around a greedy life feast! Nothing more, certainly, but also nothing less.


0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?