Summer Series #10: Sound from Hawaii


It is far from Hawaii and with the distant humming sound of cars speeding on the highway that I have finally found the time to listen to the CD offered to us while we were on Maui: Henry, by Henry Kapono. It is undoubtedly a pity not to listen to his music in the right context, but  I am also a firm believer in exporting experiences and (re)living them in new environments. Clashes and contrasts may produce surprising combinations and reactions. Speaking of contrasts, there is such an incredible variety of songs in this album that to be fully honest I have not managed to define it or pinpoint an actual style. The songs vary for folk music to contemporary rock, thus reflecting his multiple talents (singer, song writer, actor, writer...) or so I would like to think. This is a matter of personal taste, but I do tend to prefer songs like the opening "Across the Sea" for their ballad-like keys that instantly bring me back on Maui and the first night there under the starry sky and the tall palm trees. A different humming could be heard then - that of the air conditioning.

Credits: here

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?