Certainly not the last


For some time now I have been following the stories and creations of Ottolenghi. Besides all the good things that I have read over the Internet and beyond, I have also heard wonders from London-based friends. How to resist? 

After craving for some time this book, I finally took a leap of faith with their latest publication. In any case - and in full honesty - they had me at the title: Jerusalem.

Aside from the fact that one of my dearest friends has been dreaming of visiting the city for some time now, infusing ideas and positive inpiration in our chats, I had the distinctive feeling that a place of such scope and History could only yield the type of food that sings to my ears and delights the tastebuds: vibrant, surprising, heartwarming and full of character without being pretentiously eclectic.

And since we are speaking the truth, no need to hide that I tend to read cookery books like novels: I am looking for the glorious mouth-watering recipes abundant with ingredients that I cherish (sumac, zaatar, dates, lamb...) and for the introductory words, stories and memories that bring an extra cultural and personal layer. I am deeply grateful for dishes that are deeply set in a specific context, whether it be a childhood memory or a special moment in a city's or country's life. This is what makes food and cooking a special adventure, at least in my book. And speaking of books, this is a great one - and its first recipe I have tried, conchiglie with yogurt, chilli and peas, resonant with green flavors and creaminess may be my first Ottolenghi's, but certainly not the last.

Credit: Unknown



1 commentaires:

  1. Daydreamer, you've got me learning all sorts of new people and places, thank you ;) Never heard of Ottolenghi, but his recipes look delectable! I just can't quite pin down your heritage, French/Italian/other? Where did sumac & zaatar fit in your childhood palate... perhaps it's more fun to keep your readers guessing, love it!

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?