Life's a Beach {Look Around}

What to do at the beach


Let me bask in the fine moments of summer and its dreams. Let me relish every single grain of sand slipping through my fingers, getting stuck between my toes - and forget about your mother's screams about the need for you to wash all that sand away before heading for home.

Summer, for me, is beach life. Nothing else. I know, this is reductory. The rest of the year, I can visit, discover and travel with an intellectual light on. During summer, I can visit, discover and travel with my senses on.

But, friends ask, what do you do at the beach all day? Don't you get bored?

Oh no, never bored.

First and foremost because where I go in the summer, there are friends awaiting; I see them once a year, on "our" beach turned into a major living room where birthday parties are celebrated, wishful lanterns launched over the sea, colorful balloons released by small hands... Social life is bustling, ideas are exchanged, challenging and wishful plans are defined, for the evening, for next week, for another year, another life maybe.

Then, there is the sheer pleasure of every step in the sand, be it wet or scorching hot like this summer. Living a print, albeit fleeting, is a pleasure that connects me with the earth, brings me back to my roots. Should I even mention the childish joy of diving head first into the warm sea after having waited a long, painful, dark year for it? Feeling smooth water welcome, embrace you and wash away the burdens.

Kids, let's not foget about them, are a full-time beach life occupation: running from one wave to the other, swimming from one parasol to the other, building castles, destroying them, participating in races, asking for attention, ice creams, sun block, food, water and the moon. They drive me crazy at the beach. And that, too, is a full-time crazy occupation.

I escaped twice to the beach this year to live a different experience and bring books back into the picture (were you wondering: "Why hasn't she mentioned her favorite activity?" There you go). Twice I escaped in the early hours of the morning, when I walked alone to the beach carried there by the cheering cicadas (have you listened to my live Chirp on Twitter?) and the breeze. I had the privilege of having the beach to myself and counting the waves, the wasps and plunging into the first pages of my summer books. Uninterrupted by nature, I read a book by Colette from cover to cover, with sensual relish and in the perfect framework (more on the book to come...).

How on earth, could I ever get bored on a beach?

What about you: do you enjoy beach life or do you need to practice sports, go for long walks, listen to music or go to the beach a couple of hours a year to be content?

Credits: Un Blog Une Fille (edited by TheDaydreamer)



0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?